Attention gardeners!Heritage Hills Community Garden has some garden boxes available for rent for the 2022 growing season.Boxes are $20 for HHCA members and $40 for non members. Boxes will be rented on a first come first serve basis and will be offered to HH residents first.If you are interested in renting a space this year please email email@example.com for more information.
Welcome from the President
March 6, 2022
Hello Heritage Hills!
The Community Association recently held the Annual General Meeting where we reviewed our activities in 2021 and outlined some goals for 2022. Some board members stayed on and we also welcomed new residents to the board. With a low turn-out at the AGM this time we are doubling-up on some duties but our team of volunteers are excited to get to work! As we get to know each other a bit better we hope to bring some new activities and projects to the community.
Part of what the Community Association does is liaise with the Town of Cochrane. This year we are very excited to have a new resource with the Town, a Director of Community Services. This person will be able to help us in many aspects as we navigate the re-start of group activities and hopefully solve the issue with the abundance of gophers who wreaked havoc in the Community Garden. We also wish to develop a better relationship with those working on the construction of Heritage Hills, join with other CA’s around town for larger events, and increase participation in our own community.
We are going into 2022 with hope and positivity. I encourage everyone to get involved with the HHCA whether it is signing up for an annual membership, joining the board, or participating in some of our activities. Finding people with good ideas is easy, but finding people who can commit to turning ideas into reality is difficult. Although we’ve all gone through some low points this past year there is much to look forward to!
We want to make this a great community to live and play in and we want to connect with you! I hope to meet many of you around the neighbourhood this year!
Heritage Hills Community Association
Date: February 24, 2022
Purpose: Annual General Meeting
President: Jason Blanchette
Vice President: vacant
Treasurer: Matthew Shannon (absent)
Secretary: Cynthia Nemeth
Events: Nikki Anguish
Communications: David Chidley
Director at Large – Community Garden: Anika Sylvestre Director at Large – Memberships: vacant
Director at Large – Planning & Development vacant *Community members
Meeting called to order at: 7:10 by: Jason Blanchette .
Call to Order: Jason Blanchette
• • • •
Quorum (board members) – minimum 4
Quorum (paid members) minimum 10 (we have 8 at start of meeting)
did not achieve quorum tonight
Dave: can hold an informal meeting and ratify later
2. Thank you all in attendance.
3. Notice of Meeting – sent 30 days in advance 4. Approval of Minutes (2021 AGM)
• posted on the website
2. Identify Current Board Members
3. We had a tough year – couldn’t get together, couldn’t use assets, but hope to get some of
that back this year
5. Board positions – 9 positions (large) were filled, although we lost a few members mid-year.
6. Goals for 2022:
Agenda Item: Treasurer Report Presenter: Jason Blanchette
Agenda Item: Membership Presenter: Nikki Anguish
Agenda Item: Digital & Communications Presenter: Dave Chidley
Agenda Item: Events / Fundraiser Presenter: Nikki Anguish
• Jason already identified last year’s events (7 or 8)
Agenda Item: Planning & Development
Presenter: Cynthia Nemeth
Item 1: Review By-Laws
Item 2: Election of the Board:
Seconded by Cynthia and Acclaimed
• Cynthia will carry on with duties and Terry Haynes offers to help with the position
Seconded by Mark and Acclaimed
• Dave Chidley puts offers to continue in the position
Seconded by Nikki and Acclaimed
4. Events & Fundraising
• Mark Haynes has put his name forward
Seconded by Dave and Acclaimed
• Dave nominates Cynthia Nemeth – accepts
Seconded by Jason and Acclaimed
6. Vice President
7. Director at Large 1
• Andrew Narten puts his name forward for Planning & Development
Seconded by Dave and Acclaimed
8. Director at Large 2
• Nikki puts her name forward for Community Garden
Seconded by Mark Haynes and Acclaimed
9. Director at Large 3
• Nikki, Andrew, and Mark offer to help with Membership
• Jason will stick around to manage the Digital Presence
Item 3: Auditors for 2021:
1. Denette Harrison 2. Doreen Chidley
• Have been contacted and binders prepared for their review
Item 4: Q&A:
1. Nikki: thanks to all who participated and signed up. Feeling hopeful for 2022.
Motion to adjourn at 8:55 by Jason Blanchette . Second: .
The next Board meeting will be held:
Date: Time: Location:
Wed. March 9th, 2021 7:00pm
Thursday, February 24, 2022 · 7:00 – 9:00pm
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/dsi-eyya-ttp
Or dial: (CA) +1 587-786-4087 PIN: 343 258 799#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/dsi-eyya-ttp?pin=3323265679658
A Meeting “Link” will also be posted on the HHCA and The Heritage Hills Community Facebook Pages at least one day before the meeting.
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org for any assistance we might be able to provide.
All paid/active members will be sent the Agenda/Meeting Link Invite/details on how the virtual meeting will be handled. Memberships can be paid right up to the meeting time!
If your membership is NOT PAID for 2022 PLEASE pay before the meeting so you can vote. Email Interac e-Transfer (with your name, address, phone number) can be made to email@example.com Or use this email for any questions
Paid members have voting rights and can run for any position on the board. If you have any questions reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please log in and support YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD through Membership / Participation / Volunteer / Board Positions
Secretary – administrative demi god
– you are responsible, reliable, and organized – actually you secretly hold all the power.
– schedule monthly, annual, and additional meetings, and email updates as needed
– prepare agenda and relevant documents for meetings
– attend all meetings and record minutes
– hold board member accountable for tasks/deliverables
– prepare documents for Annual Filing with provincial govn’t.
– prepare documents for Change of Directors with provincial govn’t. (as needed)
– represent the HHCA at the Town’s meeting with the Community Associations (twice a
year) – any board member can do this.
– create and manage other projects that benefit the HHCA (i.e. Mission Statement,
Operating Handbook, Projects Template, Info Sign, etc.)
– when needed, fill in other positions / activities related to any area including
membership, communications/presentations, projects, events etc.
Treasurer – kicking assets
– you don’t have to be a chartered accountant, just honest, attentive, and know words
like “debit”, and “credit”.
– reconciles the bank account
– update signatories as board members change
– manages money in, payments out, receipts, and disbursements
– provide monthly reports
– provide annual report
– prepare or find someone to prepare our annual taxes and ensure they are filed on
– facilitate annual audit (two volunteers required)
– obtain/renew operating insurance annually
Communications & Digital – town crier
– you’re good at writing, have organized thoughts, and are a little bit tech-savvy; but
you don’t have to wear a costume, carry a bell, or shout.
– managing the website and (private) FaceBook page
– updating information; archiving old information on the website
– Google account maintenance and domain renewals
– prepare content/wording for posts including: event announcements, Open House &
AGM meeting announcements, membership, recruitment, etc.
– proof-reading other’s communications/responses
– digital graphics knowledge is an asset
Events & Fundraising – fun, but also serious
– you’re motivated by giving something back to our neighbours that encourages
connectedness, socialization, and cooperation.
– fun – thinking about activities like kids dances, summer BBQ’s, and contests
– serious – phone calls, emails, collecting and providing information from/ to event
sponsors (DJ, food trucks, tent rentals, entertainers, etc.)
– fun – seeing a big turn out and hearing positive feedback from residents
– serious – obtaining permits
– fun – participating in the activity yourself
– serious – writing grant proposals
– fun – giving out prizes!
Director at Large – chose your own adventure!
– there are three positions available and the role is dependent on what the group
– examples of areas covered are below
a) Community Garden – seasonal
– you love being outdoors and plants…and vegetables!
signing up gardeners, collecting payment and sending/collecting contracts all via
– monitoring the day to day of the garden, checking for overgrown boxes,
communicating with renters, assist with mowing between boxes/arranging volunteers
– end of season wrap up, ensuring boxes are cleaned out around first snowfall
– have a vision for long term projects, like a shed, expanding the gardens etc.
planning, budgeting for those.
– communicate with different town of cochrane departments regarding turning on/off
water Tap at beginning and end of season, communicating with them with regards to
any pest issues, or other issues that come up that would be Town jurisdiction
b) Membership – people collector
– because without members, why do we do this? There are about 500+ households in
Heritage Hills and we have about 70 members/year. That’s 14% and our goal is 25%.
Honestly, we’d be happy with 25%!
– strive to make all residents of Heritage Hills feel welcome!
– promote the advantages of community association membership
– organize membership drives, door to door soliciting,
– set up and operate the sign-up table at events
– collect information (name, address, phone) of new members
– manage and update email distribution list
– write and send renewal notices each year
c) Planning & Development – controlled chaos
– You have an interest in the construction activity in our neighbourhood.
– build relationships with Town representatives, developers, and home builders.
– keep the residents informed about the commercial development.
– update the Planning and Development blog on the website
d) Traffic & Safety – feet, wheels, signs , and flags
– Board members and residents do not enforce the traffic laws but we can introduce in
safety programs and work with the Town & RCMP on serious matters.
– maintain the Pace Car Program participant list and provide car stickers.
– keep abreast of the Parachute Program and any changes/updates
– communicate with residents when complaints arise
d) Community Enhancement Projects – dreamer and achiever
– You have big dreams AND know how to get them done.
– identify potential projects that will enhance the neighbourhood
– commit to the project until the end (short term or long term) and/or succession plan
– organize volunteers and head committees
– work with Town representatives and departments on permits or other requirements
– help fundraise and secure resources
– hands-on / physical work
– provide regular updates to all stakeholders
– manage and update on-going projects list
President – cheerleader
– You build enthusiasm, motivate, and encourage others!
– facilitate monthly meetings
– provide regular updates to the public
– main contact person for the board issues
– sets goals and objectives
– holds board members accountable for their tasks / deliverables
– address and diffuse conflict
– become familiar with the groups by-laws and help with updates when needed
– ideally, you have some experience with other boards and can provide guidance on
process ie. Robertson Rules of Order
Vice President – free agent
– You have a variety of skills and interest, and eager to fill in wherever you are needed.
– facilitate meetings when the president is unavailable
– assist others in their tasks; jump in to anything that needs doing
– establish, lead, or participate on committees
– this person can take on the activities of a DAL position that has gone un-filled.
Happy New Year, Heritage Hills! Like you, we are happy to finally crawl out of the deep freeze we endured over the holidays and look forward to a positive 2022.
The Heritage Hills Community Association Board of Directors invites all residents of Heritage Hills to renew your annual membership for 2022. As you may notice the fee has been increased to $20 annually. As an Association we are required to carry insurance to ensure we have liability coverage for events, etc. We determined that $20 will cover annual costs and be able to support our events. This is also inline with the fees the other Associations set in Cochrane.
Please e-transfer $20.00 to email@example.com.
Benefits of Memberships entail full access to community events and activities, access to information we learn about our community, and the ability to join and hold a position on the HHCA board and committees. Community Associations are known to enrich the quality of life of residents by promoting a sense of community through socialization and neighbourly interactions, creating a unified voice to advocate on behalf of the community, and driving many neighbourhood improvement initiatives.
Some highlights from 2021:
● Door to Door Easter Bunny treat deliveries
● Community garden boxes
● Food truck events
● Community Spring clean up
● Community Open House
● Halloween decorating contest
● Christmas decorating contest
● Santa in the Park
One membership allowed per household, entitles one voting privilege at HHCA meetings.
1) Membership Name Holder, including Family Members to be registered for all HHCA member benefits
2) Residential Address
4) Preferred Method of contact and communication: ie, phone, email
Annual General Meeting
Our AGM will be announced in the coming days and we encourage all of you to attend. We are a group of dedicated neighbours working together to make our community a better place. We need committed and enthusiastic individuals who can help strengthen our community and fill positions on the board. While all positions are open to any interested member, this year we especially need help with leadership positions for the Community Garden, building Membership, and Planning & Development. AGM details to follow.
Your HHCA board
Please feel free to contact us with comments, questions, opinions, suggestions and helpful information. All of the Board of Directors and committees are listed under our Board / Contact Page. Please contact the appropriate individual.
Or use this general Information link and we will attempt to help: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have suggestions, material, comments regarding “The View” our HHCA Website please contact the Communications Director: David Chidley email@example.com